Thursday, November 17, 2011

On a Lighter/Heavier Note...

The third headliner for Download 2012 has been announced today.

I'm relieved because so far the first two have done absolutely nothing for me.

Metallica. Meh. Maybe good to watch and add to the Gig-CV but other than that I'm not a huge fan.

Black Sabbath. Nah. Influential maybe but they're far too old and uninteresting for me.

But finally... a ray of hope...

The Prodigy. HOO-BLOODY-RAH. They pack a punch. A heavy, beat ridden, bass-ey punch. I am imagining watching them in the dark, high up on the hill looking down at the stage all lit up, closing my eyes and losing myself in the beats- just as I feel when I'm dancing in a nightclub. I don't like a lot of what they do... but the ones I like... I love.

I've been thinking lately about what makes me like a certain song or type of music. I do love the Prodge, Nine Inch Nails, Puscifer- all bands relying on strong electronic beats and rhythms. It's wierd how you never really know WHY you're attracted to a style of music; why does a certain chord change just seem perfect? Why do I happen to like big, meaty, bass-ey sounds and good strong beats? There's a song by Puscifer which I have listened to daily for the last week and a half, called Horizons and it is just perfect. I am in love with it. Every chord change, the voice, the beat, the pace... it's dreamlike and beautiful. It makes me want to close my eyes. It makes me see imagery and gives me energy.

I guess it'll always be a mystery as to why... and maybe that's partly why I'm so intrigued by the whole process.

1 comment:

Markuuus said...

Its funny but seeing sabbath and Metallica on the same bill is a big plus for me. Not that fused about prodge...come on slayer (play download pweease lol)