Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Tanjobi Desu!

Today I celebrated my 32nd birthday in Japan and whilst things didn't quite go to plan, it was certainly a birthday with a difference!

After my brother was called in to work at short notice, we had to amend plans to somewhere more local so the afternoon was spent at a nearby complex called Tamaplaza; followed by a visit to a small local shrine in Miyazakidai.

Whilst at the shrine, an old man who resembled a slightly shabbier Mr Miyagi, was sat in the grounds n a makeshift chair, feeding some pigeons.  He seemed to be watching us closely while I snapped away taking photographs and my fears were confirmed when I saw him gesticulating and calling to us.  He appeared to be making a gesture ushering us out of the shrine, but my brother explained that in Japan this means "come here".  My brother approached and called me over, both of us expecting some sort of telling off... however the little old man said a few words to my brother and disappeared into his house- which was a shed like structure surrounded by pot plants which had long turned into weeds.  He proceeded to approach us again, this time armed with 6 cans of Japanese beer; handing us one each.  He spoke in Japanese with m brother for a little while as we said "Kampai" and downed a glug of beer.  All this in the grounds of a sacred shrine. Things got even odder, as the dishevelled Mr Miyagi then went back into his house, this time coming out with a crate for me to sit on and a big plastic bottle of what looked like petrol for him to sit on while he handed his chair (covered with bits of ducktape) to my brother to sit on.  He then went back inside and came out with a plastic bag; some salt and some soy sauce.  He offered us big plastic tubs of tofu, which he drowned in sauce and salt.  Thankfully my brother explained we had just eaten and we would share one... so he handed us two teaspoons for us to share a tub of Tofu.  Now, people who know me well know that I don't like food that wobbles.... and Tofu would fit into this category.  Not only that, while it doesn't really taste of anything in particular the texture is just cold, slimey and horrible.  More so, it would seem, when it is covered in huge crystals of salt and drowned in soy sauce (which I also detest).  I managed to force down about two mouthfuls before looking at my brother desperately. 

Mr Miyagi, went inside to feed a stray cat which had wandered into the grounds, and at this point my brother and I began searching for somewhere to stash the Tofu.  Embarrassingly a man walking a dog now entered the grounds and was met by my brother and I sat on a crate and a dodgy chair, eating tofu out of a plastic bag with teaspoons. We must have looked a right sight.  There was simply NO WAY of getting rid of the Tofu.  I even contemplated feeding it to the dog but I was worried he wouldn't eat it and make a scene which would attract Mr Miyagi back.  Desperation started to set in as we heard Mr Miyagi making his way back outside albeit he was distracted by feeding the cat for now.  We were too far from the trees to throw it; my brother was unprepared to shove the remaining Tofu in his hat; and the nearest bin was right next to Mr Miyagi's door.  Our only option to not offend this man was to eat it and I was simply unwilling to put that stuff anywhere near my moth ever again.  We ended up having to stash it in the crate I was sitting on. I felt bad, but not as bad as I would have felt after eating that stuff and throwing it up in front of the shrine. 

I decided to go and take some more photographs and give my brother a chance again to make some polite excuses to Mr Miyagi.  They sat chatting for a little while, and eventually my brother called me over to say goodbye and to thank him for our food and beer. He gave my brother another can before leaving and told him to return again soon!

I have to say, eating salted Tofu out of a plastic tub on a crate, in a shrine in Japan with Mr Miyagi is probably one of the weirder birthday activities I have done... but one I am unlikely to forget in a hurry!

On our way home, we picked up my niece from daycare and took her to the park for a bit before some Soba takeaway and a delicious Japanese cake for afters.  It ahs to be said that Japanese birthday cakes beat the shit out of our butter-cream; sickly-sweet-icing birthday cakes in England.  Delicious.  I also got to Skype my Grandad and Grandma who were delighted to see little Nat-chan too. :)

 
Oooh an additional present was the fact that I can finally wear makeup again after two solid weeks without it! Both my eyes seem much better now and free of redness and gunk which is a huge relief. 
This means I can enjoy the rest of my holiday without having to scare the locals too much and maybe take a few selfies along the way!
 
Tomorrow we are hoping to visit the Imperial Gardens.  While it's been sunny, we're still receiving a really icy cold wind here which has been freezing! But hopefully the sunshine will remain and perhaps stay long enough for the Cherry Blossom's to arrive before I leave next Wednesday.
 
Fingers Crossed!
 

No comments: