Monday, March 23, 2015

Tokyo.

Konnichiwa!

Well, after a veeerrry long flight in which I got very little sleep, followed by an hour's bus journey; I arrived in Miyazaki last Thursday afternoon.

My trip appears to have coincided with my Niece being quite poorly which has impacted on daily plans a little so I haven't taken all that many photographs yet but I'm hoping this will change as the week goes on.  I had an amazing sleep on Thursday night; much needed after the long flight.  Friday was meant to be a shopping trip day with Yumi (my sister-in-law) but it was unfortunately a right off as my niece was too poorly to go to Daycare, however in the evening my brother took me to Centa Minama to meet his American mate for cocktails, beer and food.

Saturday was spent in Tamaplaza to a Korean restaurant for lunch, then Yumi and I headed out to Omotesando and Harajuku to look round the shops; in particular Takeshita Street which is the most famous street in harajuku.  We looked in one tiny store called "6%DokiDoki" which was like walking into a computer game.  Imagine Mario brothers on speed with a classic 80's Nintendo soundtrack mixed in with some Drum n Bass; a sprinkling of Rainbow Bright and the world's supply of plastic jewellery and you come close to the experience.  We also stopped by the Calbee store where we ordered FRESHLY made; warm Calbee chips. Yummo.
There were so many crazy shops but it was great to see so many small independent designers doing their own thing and selling their wares alongside the regular bland stalls in every other department store.  You wouldn't get Selfridges selling hardcore gothic/punk clothing and blasting out thrash metal on one floot; then a stall selling necklaces made out of real pop-corn and biscuits or tights that look like baguettes; and then the floor above housing Dior; Chanel and Calvin Klein.  Amazing. Yumi bought me my birthday present too- some lippy from Dior in Omotesando.
Unfortunately this same day; my right eye finally caught the infection that's been plaguing my left eye for the last ten days.  This has mostly cleared up; but whilst walking around the shops on Saturday I could feel it itching and getting really gunky; and lo and behold- my eye went red over the next few hours.  Sunday morning it was swollen and sore so again; our plans to head to a bbq were put on hold in favour of going to Grandberry Mall to take my Niece to her favourite shop and on some rides.  Unfortunately on the way home; my niece was sick all over the floor of the supermarket so again, my brother and I have had to put our plans to go to Shinjuku on hold in order to look after Nat.  She's no better bless her and has been sleeping most of the day. I've been given a tour guide tomorrow should she be poorly again. And tonight one of my brother's friends is taking me into Yokohama for some food and drinks. 

Despite plans being somewhat stunted; it's still been precious spending time with my niece at long last.  She actually knows my name now and knows who I am so if nothing else it's been worth it just for that. 

I have a shopping list I need to complete by the end of the week.  I'm hoping I get chance to go to Shubuya, Shinjuku, The Alice in Wonderland Café, Odaiba and maybe the Tokyo Skytree before my time here comes to an end.  I need to take more photographs too as I've not had many opportunities yet.

Fingers crossed that little Nat-chan gets better soon so that I can explore a bit more.

1 comment:

ktpland said...

I'm so coming with you next time! Keep having an amazing time! x