Friday, February 09, 2007

SNOW!

I was expecting the snow to thaw out today... not keep on falling as it has all flippin day. I could feel my anxiety hit the roof as it dawned on me that there wouldn't be a lift home since Niall was stuck in the road chaos... and that nothing was moving all round the town centre. Not even buses. Thankfully I'd worn my walking boots to work.

5.00 pm- I was kindly allowed to leave work early after we all slowly realised that the ringroad was gridlocked. I get some change just in case there are buses running and I go wait at the bus stop with many confused and freezing cold commuters. There's the usual camradery for these sorts of occasions... some old man is saying to a friendly young lad that if he was as young as him, he'd have walked home, and that the "british spirit will get us through"... eskimo spirit more like.

5.15- I give up waiting and decide to walk. There have been no buses arriving at all... and I hear talk of people waiting up to an hour.

5.30 - I'm starting to get smug walking past all these people in stuck sitting in their static cars, even though my nose is running and I feel like I'm breathing ice. My lungs are hurting from inhaling too much snow. My scarf is no longer black... it's white, along with half my coat and my umbrella. I wish I had my hat. I resist the urge to stop and take photo's of the traffic jams with my camera phone.

5.40 - I pass the fire station where two fireman are wandering down the middle of the road ready to push any struggling/skidding cars and trying to keep the entrance to the fire station clear.

5.55 - I'm nearing home... my legs are starting to ache but I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for taking the plunge to walk. I see a lady crouched in a phonebox crying, and stop to ask if she's alright... apparantly she's had a car accident and is waiting for a lift home... she looks so upset and I feel sorry for her. She insists she's alright, and seeing as I'm still a fair way from home, there's not much I can do for her... so I plough on. This whole walk is bizarre. I haven't even been targeted by snowballing idiots either. Even stranger.

6.13 - I arrive home. I'm roasting hot from the walk, and wierdly half of my face is red and feels burnt. I get changed and hang all my clothes to dry and now I'm sitting with a nice cup of hot chocolate blogging away.

This global warming is getting interesting.

No comments: