Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Movements.

Nothing like a bit of Feminism to distract me from the three day bank holiday bender I've been recovering from- and I don't even mean a hangover as so much as the general fatigue! Yep- Old.

So I've been encouraged of late by the following gems of awesomeness.  There's a buzz at the moment... things are happening, action is being taken, there's stirrings.

Some weeks ago now I noticed The Every Day Sexism project which is a twitter account set up for people to record experiences of every day sexism- male and female. It's a brilliant way to draw attention and its really gathered momentum.  It's a brilliant tool for ill-informed but open minded people to get an idea of what actually counts as sexism as I've been staggered to discover that not everyone actually understands what it is, what should or shouldn't be acceptable and this is exactly what it is needed to stop younger generations becoming MORE sexist than their parents.  Sexism these days is far more vulgar and packaged differently to its former, 1950's-didn't-know-any-better self.

Check it out-  @EveryDaySexism on twitter.

Following this the below two campaigns are starting to take shape: 

Feminists taking action against Facebook and "lads mags" (or as I like to call them "Pervert Wank Rags" in shops.

If you haven't already done so I urge you to sign *** this petition *** at http://www.losetheladsmags.org.uk/  spearheaded by OBJECT and UKFEMINSTA to remove wank rags from supermarkets where families are free to roam. 

Brilliant.  Reassuring.  Encouraging. :-)

No comments: