Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Watches.

A few months ago I lost my beloved, trusty, old fossil watch.  I'd had it a couple of years and it was still going strong.  With there being a lot of building work going on at the house I figured it could have been thrown away by accident.  After about a month or two I decided I was never going to see it again and set about buying a new one.

I've never been crazy about watches.  It's a watch.  It tells the time, and generally I just like a nice simple design which serves a functional and efficient purpose.  Amazed at the sheer number of watches on the market, and the massive range in prices from about £15 to £3000 I just found the whole thing a bit ridiculous. 

I finally found one I liked as a simple every day watch, and in true slink style-y I found another slightly more fancy one.  In similar slink style- I bought both.  And before you judge me as a materialistic, more-money-than-sense, loon I might point out that BOTH these watches together cost less than the last watch I bought for N. So there.


I think you will agree they are both awesome.  I love the simplicity of the everyday one (Cross).  It's very uni-sex, but with a petrol effect facia which gives it a bit of mystery.  The second is a bit wacky and different (Vivienne Westwood) with a blood red facia set within a gold fancy frame, on an antique effect mustard strap.  I love the contrast and quirkiness of it.  It's perfect for slightly dressier occasions.  As long as the watch matches the outfit of course.  Hmm.

I've been enjoying my new watches for the last two weeks or so and I'm very pleased with them.  They're the right size, style, design and comfort for me. I finally Instagram-ed a picture of my new fancy watch yesterday afternoon. 

This morning, following a very unpleasantly dizzy shower, I was putting away my various toiletry bottles and potions into my toiletry bag and low and behold- I pulled out this...


... this, my dear readers, is my OLD watch. 

His familiar, steely, little face peering at me as if to say "Hi mom, I've been in here ages! Who's that fancy gold thing on your wrist??".  I mean, the timing is just pure genius.  It's like he waited for me to show the social-media world my new watch before humiliatingly showing up in my toiletry bag.

I'm pleased he's back.  And now I have three watches to choose from, which considering I've only ever had one watch (usually lasting me about four-five years at a time)... seems like overkill. 

Like a true fossil, he was lost, buried and juuust about forgotten before reappearing.   :-)

1 comment:

ktpland said...

Wow that Vivienne Westwood one is stunning! X