Thursday, September 29, 2005

B.D.S

I woke up in the very early hours of the morning and as any normal person would do, I rolled over to get some more kip. As I did so, I expected to see the rest of my bedroom, the spare bed, wardrobe, and a bit of light from the curtains all in front of me... And I did- but it was covered and surrounded by a really thick mist. Wierdly, my first thought was that I had left the window open and mist had filled my room, but then I distinctly remembered closing my window before getting into bed. Come to think of it, my first thought was "what the..!??!?!" or somehting along those lines. Anyway, in the next second my mind was reeling and I thought it was my eyes going blurry, but I could see my bedcovers perfectly. It was definatly there. I could see outlines, rough shapes but all through a thick mist... or was it smoke..? FINALLY I thought there could be a fire and this was smoke filling my room and I felt my blood rush. I breathed in... and it was normal air, so I sniffed ... nothing, no burning. Wierd, I thought, I should be coughing or suffocating by now. I sat up in a bit of a confused panic.

And then I realised.

For the last minute and a half, looking at what I thought was my room in smoke- I had actually been looking at my bedroom wall.

I rolled over to see my bedroom- free of mist/smoke. And then I felt silly, but equally amazed at how a reflection on a wall can look like a room full of mist! It had so much depth!

B.D.S - Bed Disorientation Syndrome- A strange phenomenon occuring in moment of brief consciousness in which a person expects to see a particular interior or scene but is suprised to find another. The sufferer has become disorientated during sleep and requires seconds or possibly minutes to remember their exact location. There are no further symptoms.

Or should that be Blonde Dumb Slink.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

I've had that before, though not quite as vividly as yours... It started happening at Uni cos I was sleeping in a different bed, and from then on all my beds have been different ways round in the room. I'd wake up thinking of one of the other rooms/ beds (either from both houses at Uni/ Sutton/ Grannies etc) but obviously not be there so be really really confused as to where the hell I was!

Ramzi said...

I once mistook my coat hanging by the door for a stranger the moment I woke up and threw my reading lamp at it.

It's no fun sweeping broken shards early in the morning I tell you...