Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reflections on 2012 pt 3: L is for...

I made a new friend in 2012.  He is called- L.

He has been the best thing about this year and will remain to be a special part of my life for years to come I hope. 

I met L at work in Sutton Coldfield.  I had commented many a time to colleagues of this polite Policeman who would email me for uniform orders- his good manners standing out like a little ray of sunshine in a job that can sometimes come with little thanks.  I think I had probably met him once or twice during the admin side of my initial induction at Sutton, however it's only when he was working down the corridoor from me that I really got to know him.  My office had a fair bit of banter with their office and over many practical jokes, after-work pub drinks and blu-tak figurines- we got to know each other, and I instantly knew I'd found a friend.

My instinct told me very early on that I would get on very well with L.  He is open, warm, friendly, generous and forgiving.  He has a genuine, kind heart and his support, patience and affection were my crutches during a difficult an emotional time in my life this year.  I have confided in him, cried to him, shared hugs and many laughs and although I've not even known him a year, I would feel lost without him in my life. 

He likes words- I like pictures. He calls me Sarahphim. He calls me bossy and says I have a temperament like the Incredible She-Hulk.  He knows I can be grumpy, that I'm opinionated, challenging and headstrong, our views differ on many things, yet he's made me feel respected, loved, nurtured and less alone, at a time when I felt anything but. 

I know in L, I have found a true friendship that I never ever want to lose. 

To my best friend L, I love you more than you know and I thank you.

No comments: