Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Reflections on 2012 pt 4: Promotion

In March I started applying for jobs.  I had only been at my place of work for a year, having been made redundant and re-deployed from my previous role.  I moved and was lucky enough to be placed somewhere familiar and within a small, friendly station in the area I'd grown up.  Although it took me longer to adjust than I anticipated I became part of the family.  Within that year though, my job there was yet again to be put at risk under the second round of Tory cuts so I started applying for jobs rather than wait around and see where someone else wanted me to go- if at all.  I put my heart and soul into preparing for my interview, which was the day after my birthday. 

After a tough interview with an Inspector from my current job on the panel, I was telephoned to say I'd been offered a post at Walsall.  It wasn't the ideal place I wanted to be and I was nervous about it to say the least, but I also needed to take this step.  It was time for me to move upwards. 

I started in May.  Commuting in my new car, Franko, to my new place of work.  It's certainly been a huge step and frustratingly slow in terms of getting access to systems and training now that our training courses have been slashed in the cuts. Six months in, I'm settling; I'm learning; and hopefully growing into my role a little more each day.  I don't have quite the same bonds as I did at my last job as it's a smaller team and the nature of the work means the job in general can be stressful and tiring.  However, I'm learning a lot and this is hopefully another stepping stone into bigger, brighter things.  That's *IF* there's a force left after the Tory's have finished their assault on the UK's services.

No comments: