Sunday, April 17, 2005

whoosh.

Another week vanished.

I haven't done enough work. Scratch that, I haven't done any work this week.

Yep that's bad news. I'm back in Uni-land now and it took me all afternoon to unpack. I have waaay too much stuff, even for an art student.

This week's been really strange. I've been a bit all over the place, which isn't all that unusual these days. I have a feeling it's going to get much worse in the next few weeks as I actually have to get my ass in gear some how and work like a trooper to finish up my degree. All I did this week is take photographs of my last model and buy some materials for my next project/competition entry.

I did however, go to Peterborough for the day with Niall. Things have been tense lately as both of us are unsure as to what's going to happen to us next year. Niall has a job in Peterborough, some 86 miles away from Brum, and since I'll be working part time I won't be able to afford rent. It seems I'll be moving home for a while until I get my bearings and clear my overdraft, hell maybe in a few months I'll be in credit, who knows... The point is that we won't be living together and after two, almost three, years of living in each others pockets, it's going to be tough. Niall can't afford to commute that far, so living at home with me seems inplausable. There was a plan to move to Nottingham, but it seems unlikely to be affordable with Niall having hardly any income left over after loan repayments, taxes, travel costs, bills and rent etc. The only affordable and sensible option it seems is for Niall to live in Peterborough, near his job, where he can save money and enjoy his hard earned income. But where will that leave us?There's alot of uncertainty and though loads of couples live apart for years at a time, we've been so used to being around each other. So, I went to Peterborough to see if I could live there. It wasn't good. The place itself was pretty, bar the usual chav population, but it has little to no rock scene, no decent major clubs but a spattering of music venues, and no art supplies shops for me to do my illustration work. Obviously the latter was a bit of an issue as I wouldn't want my career to be comprimised, and neither would Niall. It's so crap. But we'll have to see what happens, I just hate that we can't both be somewhere we want to be, doing what we want, and just be happy. I guess, everyone gets a bit of that at times though.

Other than that, this week, I got my good old SLR out for yet another competition in a local paper. It was to simply take a photo of Brum and match it to a title from the Yellow Pages directory. It got me really into photography again. I want to do a course after Uni when I can afford to, get me beyond the basics that I've been taught, and hopefully back into the dark room again. I miss doing my own developing. I have grouped together some of my best photographs though and started a photoblog. It's called The Hollow and has a small selection of some of my best photos. I need to add some of my Barcelona photo's to it but they're currently stuffed in storage in my parents garage.

Oooh, I also took Niall to the IMAX cinema in Brum as part of his birthday present. I'd never been to an IMAX before but it was cool, apart from the wearing of strange glasses that were way too big for my face and made me look like a bug. The film was about Nascar, and it was nicely done despite it's cheesy moments. I enjoyed it, the 3D IMAX experience was cool and I think Niall loved it too which was good. It even had loads of engineering bits in it, so he was happy. I didn't get motion sickness either. I fancy going to see another one, though it's a bit pricey. They were advertising a film about bugs which looked pretty good 3D wise. I should be back to posting more regularly as I'm back at my own pooter. And, as promised (did I promise? not sure now...) below is a picture of the chocolate fondue artwork I mentioned last post. Yes, I know I know, I'm a genius.

3 comments:

Paul said...

It was gone for days, now it's back. WeyHey!! Slink's Blog is alive and well.

I'm not gonna offer any words of wisdom for you and yer fella. Partly cos I ain't that wise, and mostly - cos you don't need em, the pair of ya will be fine.

elChrizzo said...

So you got your own photoblog at photobloggers.net. This site was actually aet-up by a guy here in Utrecht and I think it is a great opportunity to show your pictures (without paying for it). You've got some pretty cool pictures, but I didn't expect anything less from a (pseudo)pro :D

Slink said...

thanks elchrizzo... yours are pretty damn cool too :)