Sunday, March 24, 2013

Goodbye Twenties!!!

Today marks the last day of my twenties. 

It's a big deal actually- and since most of my plans have been wrecked by the Snow Storms I'll be opting to celebrate the start of a new era, rather than mourn the loss of the last one by enjoying all my birthday celebrations over my week off, culminating in a big night out next Saturday.

My twenties have been eventful from the get go.  I entered my twenties in complete uncertainty having just finished a brilliant year studying my Art BTEC Diploma at college.  This is the year that I think cemented who I am, what I'm about and defined me.  Following this, I started my first year at University in my twentieth year. I started blogging shortly after starting uni, my first post being in 2004, in my second year- so much of this blog has seen my through some of the toughest, and also the most awesome times of my life.

I think I've managed to stave off any huge fears about turning 30.  It is, afterall, just a number and most of the time people don't believe that I'm anywhere near that age anyway so hopefully I don't have to be reaching for the wrinkle cream just yet!  It's more the fact that I still feel very unsettled and aren't all that sure where I am going.  I think this may be something I always feel, and so this too, doesn't scare me as much as it used to.  Friends and family are settling down, getting married and boring the fuck out of me on facebook with countless photographs and updates about their babies... so times are definitely changing.  It does feel different, but I don't think my expectations of myself have changed.  I've spoken to a number of women who say that their thirties became a time for knowing exactly who they were, what they believed in and what they wanted.  Well, I already have the first two nailed but I certainly and hopefully welcome a time of greater scecurity in myself, my believes and perhaps more importantly my body.  This is an issue I've struggled with long before my twenties started- however the idea that my thirties could be the age that I finally feel comfortable in my skin is a welcome one.

Goodbye to my twenties, goodbye youth!
I've opened the door... the big 3 0 is on it's way in.

2 comments:

ktpland said...

Many Happy Returns of the day Miss Slink. See you next Saturday! A bit of snow won't stop us! X

Slink said...

:-) Thanks dudette! xx