Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fresh Meat.

The Sexism of Freshers Week

A brilliant article by the Guardian about "Lad" culture impacting on young women during the crazy time that is Freshers week.  I have to say I can't remember being exposed to a great deal of this at my university, however that was around ten years ago and the whole pathetic "Lad" retaliation movement hadn't occurred.  Also, I tended to avoid those horrendous meat market uni nights to favour other club nights out and social occasions because I've never really felt the need to follow a crowd and conform, especially if it's with total twats.

The article highlights some disturbing and obscene trends which I hope women begin to fight back.  One occasion I do remember at uni, at one of the horrendous Friday Night Disco (FND) meat markets I rarely went to- was being physically picked up and carried out of the union by a really tall man who looked like Greg Rusedski.  I laugh at it now, but to be honest, the whole thing really bothered me.  This man was a stranger, and although we'd danced on the dance floor, this man was able to physically pick me up and walk out the Union with me, as if he'd picked me off the shelf at a supermarket. Because I'm so small, petite and skinny, it really bothered me that he was able to physically over power me.  Nothing bad happened, he put me down outside the union with no malicious intentions and I promptly walked back inside, but it could so easily have been a different story.  It's one of the reasons that I feel so much better about feeling physically stronger through my gym training, because whilst I'm still tiny and easily overpowered at least I know I have some strength to punch, kick and fight back; anyone who knows my tenaciousness will know I'd put up one hell of a good fight if I had to. 

Anyway, read the article.  It's a good'un.

2 comments:

Markuuus said...

I think that sort of behaviour is odious, i'm glad to say i've never acted that way and never would. It shocked me that people can act this way and think its all good...The Uni's themselves should be ashamed for allowing it to happen. I had a awesome time at uni thanks to the good friends i made, sadly not everyone seems to have had the same experience. Truly saddening

Anonymous said...

I've been following this in the news/on twitter etc too, and I really can't understand the mentality of organisations allowing it. In an effort at ''blokey'' branding, they effectively condone the disgusting actions of (I sincerely hope) a minority, letting it filter into the larger sphere, and absolve offenders of responsibility with the smug veil of "it's all just a larf, innit?". Disgusting, and I hope the cultural pendulum swings back the other way sharpish before more people are hurt by it.