Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cowon Z2: My New Baby

Photobucket


So I've tested it.


I've tried various files; different earphones to compare sound; I've played with the sound settings and even ensured that it works in my car.  All is good.

I am chuffed actually.  The user interface will take a bit of getting used to, and when I'm looking to upgrade again in five years time I'll probably be less inclined to choose an MP3 player with web access as, although handy on the fly, it's what my smartphone does. 

Plugging in my new earphones and playing Tool through it for the first time was just insanely good.  I heard so much more of the song.  I've managed to find a user sound setting that's bass-ey enough for me, but it'll still take some time adjusting to losing a bit of bass in order to improve the overall sound of the whole song.  The other problem with this brilliant piece of technology is that it's too good.  It brutally now sorts out the men from the boys in terms of digital file quality and I now have some MP3's which are clearly sub-standard.  Songs I've been playing on my computer, Sonos and Sony Walkman for years now have all their digital flaws (yes I'm looking at you Bastille) highlighted which means I can well imagine I will be spending far more time buying CD's and ripping them, than downloading poor quality music for an unfairly steep price.  But, this is the arena I've now found myself in, and it's a high standard that I'm pleased with. 

Now I know it all works and I'm pleased with it, I'm spending the afternoon transferring music across to it.  I can well imagine I will be needing to buy myself a micro SD to increase the storage capacity in no time. 

I'm a happy bunny.  Things feel good at the moment. 

2 comments:

ktpland said...

All my dodgy ones are thanks to Direct Connect! ;) x

Markuuus said...

Accept nothing but the best and thou shall never be disappointed :D