Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Shure Thing.

Last year I filled my MP3 player. 

My little beat up 8gb Sony Walkman has served me well for the last couple of years.  It is probably the best sounding MP3 player I've ever had, with incredibly deep bass tones and expensively perfect noise cancelling earphones which work in conjunction with the device. It was always going to be a substantially tough act to follow and it was with a very heavy heart that I decided it was time to look into getting a new one. 

After months of research and a particular low point even considering getting a shite-pod, I selected the COWON Z2 with a web enabled Sony Walkman as my back up option.  If it fails to connect to Franko (my car) 's USB port, the Cowon will be ebayed and I'll resort to my Sony back up choice.

With my original Walkman having noise cancelling functions and just immense sound, I also purchased some swanky Shure earphones to try and make up for the loss in any sound quality. 

My new earphones arrived today.

They are, quite frankly, incredible. 

The clarity on them is immense.  It opens up new layers to music and I can hear new sounds to songs I've been listening to for years.  I listened to Bastille, Korn, The Prodigy and Puscifer before the ultimate test- Nine Inch Nails.  Oh my god.  Track 13.  Absolutely EPIC!!  You can hear EVERYTHING! ; every detail, twang, even breaths that I've never heard before! Stunning.

Short of a bit more bass, they're just awesome. I'm used to a LOT of bass with my Sony noise cancelling.  I like my music to sound meaty.  I like to "feel" the music right in the centre of my brain and a deep bass seems to reach right inside you and squeeze your heart just a tad before pulsing back through your blood to your ears.  My new earphones lack thispunch but I'm hoping it's something I can get used to.  I've heard Cowon rival Sony for their sound technology and once I get my new Z2 I'm hoping I can tweak the settings and equalizer to my liking and maybe emphasize the bass so I'm not too worried just yet. 

Just got to cross my fingers and hope that all is well on receiving my Cowon but so far- Inspired. (Resolution 4) ;-).

No comments: