Friday, May 06, 2005

Disappointment

Yesterday was, as you may have guessed from the title, a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't feeling hugely up for rock night at the union last night but I went anyway. It's tradition. It was pants. Apart from a slight pick up towards the end, most of the night was full of heavy, sweaty-hair-flinging/head-banging tripe. I can cope with a certain amount of this, and lets face it, it's always quite amusing to watch a circle of leather clad, buckled up first years flinging their greasy, sweaty hair around, but a whoooole night of it merely leaves me with nothing to dance to. I wasn't impressed. But I got to wear the beautiful, spangly new top that Niall bought me which was cool. Sadly that was the only highlight... though they did play Starfuckers.inc by NIN and Jonjon turned up which was nice.... ooooh and we got free 'Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy' pin badges too. So, that's four highlights in between the gloom.

After a less-than-average rock night, I get home to discover that Tony Bleurgh was winning the election. Another disappointment. Though I can sort of understand the lack of any true, decent alternative I'm still gutted that they're still there, and that my little sister may not be able, or want to go to university because of the stupidly ridiculous costs involved. Any students who voted labour have since lost the right to ever moan about having to pay off their student loans, their inability to pay off their debts and any financial struggles they bring about. Any one who merely can't be arsed to vote, or claim they "don't know anything about politics" or " just don't care" also should lose their right to have an opinion on the running of their country. It annoys me. Democracy is a blessing and a responsibility. We owe it to the countries who don't have this basic 'right', to use our vote and have our say. One day, one too many people are simply "not going to care to vote" and some biggoted, ugly and disgusting party like the BNP are going to get more power because too few couldn't be bothered to bump up the other parties' votes. It nearly happened in France, it could happen here. Disturbing.

That's enough politics for one day. Here's a story: I was having a nap earlier and in the usual annoying manner, just as I'd settled down I got a phonecall. It was from a guy involved in the photography competition (check paragraph 6) I entered a short while ago. Two of my photographs have been selected for an exhibition being held in The Custard Factory in Brum! :) I was dead chuffed with that. I have to send in my negatives so they can get some big blow ups done of them. I'll have to go back to Brum to get a look at the exhibition when it's all up.

woohoo for me!

4 comments:

ktpland said...

so you're turining into an exhibitionist too! hehe ;-) well done chicken!

xxxxxx

p.s i want a hitchikers guide to the galaxy pin badge! i love that book!!

Markuuus said...

well done sarah i knew you had it in you...xxx well done

Paul said...

Custard Factory eh?? Bring your fella and pop in to the studio for a cuppa!! :D

Slink said...

cheers flakester! I may just do that! :)